4.7.13

Topshop, do you want to be friends?

I've always had a pretty hate/hate relationship with Topshop.

I hated her for not stocking 'larger' sizes and she hated me in return by not stocking 'larger' sizes. It got to a point where I would just avoid going in to save myself the embarrassment of trying to squeeze my fat rolls into there clothes and looking like a pig in a blanket, albeit a sparkly tight blanket which I would have rocked the shit out of.

Whilst waiting to meet my mum last Friday, after a wee meet and greet with Mr Leighton Denny! (You can read all about that soon enough!) she asked to meet outside Topshop and for once I got there early. I stood outside for a few minutes scowling at Topshop like an ex I'm on bad terms with until I could no longer contain myself.


I had to go in and see if I could find something that fit. I headed straight for the sale section, which is of course my favourite section in every shop ever. I seem to have this magical skill of being able to find sale and reduced to clear sections in shops I've never been to before. With the loud bassy music pumping through my brain making me feel like I was in a club (not particularly a fan of) and stick thin girls all wearing pretty much the same thing (yet another reason I wouldn't shop in Topshop) I tentatively headed over to the larger side of the sale section.

The first thing I notice is that it only goes up to a size 16. Isn't the UK average a 16? Surely then that should be the middle size not the end! Putting this to the back of my mind I start raking through the rails to find things I like. I managed to actually find stuff and this alone surprised me. I'm rather fussy with my clothes, my size and anxiety do NOTHING to help the matter!

However I found 4 or 5 items that I liked and headed to the changing room. Now it may just have been my imagination but I swear the lady at the changing room looked me up and down, went and got me a ticket and snorted with laughter/tried to stifle her laughter. I went into the changing room and just kind of stood there for  a few minutes, asking myself if I should really be in this shop. Then I thought what does it matter if she thinks I shouldn't shop here. I have as much right as anyone else!

So the first two things I tried on were dresses (surprise, surprise!) and I couldn't even get them over my nunga nungas (surprise, surprise!) however the next three things I tried on nearly made me cry. With pride. They fucking fit! I actually looked at myself in the mirror for a good few minutes with each dress checking to see that they did actually fit and it wasn't just fairys pulling the fabric in the right places when I looked at it.






So I didn't say they fitted perfectly, they just fit. I'm not blind, I can see that I look quite pregnant in the first dress (I can assure you I'm not!) and the black dress I'm not too sold on but hey it fit so I had to photograph it! The last dress however was an orange number that I absolutely love. It was quite a citrus orange but the lighting in the changing room is making it look kind of pink. Look how happy I look! Unfortunately it was £25 (and that's the sale price) and 1. I didn't have it and 2. I don't think I'm at the stage yet where I'd pay £25 for a dress.

This is a step in the right direction for mine and Topshop's friendship. It's like the Facebook game I play Disney City Girl (don't judge) we have moved up the friendship ladder from acquaintances to friends. Who knows, one day we could be besties!

13 comments:

  1. I really like that black dress on you! Great post :)


    bethanyworrall.wordpress.com
    Just followed you on bloglovin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was so heavy though, strange material! Aha. It went well with my hair so I looked like Babydoll from Sucker Punch!;) xx

      Delete
  2. I think it's awful that some shops don't stock bigger sizes and I particularly think that Topshop run smaller in size too. The black dress looks great on you!
    Spider Leg Lashes xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I totally agree with you! I wish there was a universal sizing guide that was the same for all shops! xx

      Delete
  3. you look lovely in those dresses! i also have a love/hate relationship with topshop as i find their sizes to be so weird!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc // youtube // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Think we are fighting a never ending battle with sizes! xx

      Delete
  4. I think you should buy all 3, they're all really nice :P haha

    Also...

    I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! - http://coffeeandcosmetics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/liebster-award.html :D

    Jess // coffee and cosmetics xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up leaving them, still a bit too out my price range just now. At least I know I can go back though!

      Thank you babe! I'll do my response post tonight when I get in from work :) xx

      Delete
  5. Couldnt agree with you more!
    Nice blog doll x

    Jenna
    http://jennanicholls.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you look great in them all hun, and you do not look prego in the first one! I think they all look banging xox

    The Style Khaleesi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darlin. I felt like a wee superstar in that changing room!;) xx

      Delete
  7. I hate Topshop for not stocking after a 16! It's a bloody small 16 too! I usually go in with my teeny tiny friends and I head straight for the jewellery and shoes... haha! I'm sure they did do a short 'plus size' feature, with Beth Ditto as the model... but that didn't last long. :(

    Chlo | www.chloodonnell.co.uk

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

.